Are you looking for a machine to make spiral notebooks?
Check out what we’ve covered!
Here we talk about notebook binding machines. If you looking for one, we have prepared a useful buying guide about important machine’s characteristics. Then choose the model with a suitable capacity for your needs.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Our Top Picks
What Makes A Machine Suitable For Binding Notebooks?
To bind together notebooks, you won’t need a heavy-duty binder in most cases. This means that you need to look for a binding machine that is easy to use and that offers you a binding type you want on your notebooks – either a comb, wire, or coil, or even sewn bound, saddle stitching, singer sewn, perfect bound, or hardcover.
What Are The Most Common Types Of Notebook Binding?
Usually, you can bind notebooks in many different ways. Some common ways include coils, wires, and hardcovers. Another common way notebooks are bound is saddle stitching which is a very economical binding method. With a machine, you can easily bind notebooks with combs, wires, and coils, but there are even models for hardcover binding and perfect binding.
How Durable Is A Notebook Binding Machine?
For notebook binding, you won’t need a heavy-duty machine that binds together 400+ sheets. However, this does not mean they are not durable at all. Even binding machines with lower binding capacities are made to last a long time, although they cannot punch through many sheets at once.
Who Is A Binder Machine For Notebooks For?
If you are unsure of whether a notebook binder is for you, here are some uses of it to help you out:
- For DIY-ers – if you would like to create your own notebooks and be imaginative with them, a binder machine will allow you to pick papers of your choice and make your own covers, too
- For schools – being creative in a classroom includes binding documents together, and a binding machine is here also good for binding school paperwork together
- For offices – bind notebooks and other documents together in an office
- For organization – you will keep yourself more organized if you bind your important papers into a notebook
- Improve paper’s shelf life – by binding papers together, they will look fresh for a long time
Consider This For The Best Machine To Make Notebooks
To bind a notebook together with a machine, keep in mind the following features and specifications to choose the best option for your needs.
Punching Capacity For Notebook Binding
For less frequent use, the machine with the ability to punch 10 sheets at a time is enough. In case you need more powerful machines with higher capacity, consider 20+ sheets per operation. Thus, you should focus on models for professional use.
Binding Capacity For Notebooks
A binder that has a capacity of up to 150 pages should be enough, as most notebooks won’t have more than 150 sheets. However, if you are also going to use it for other binding projects, a machine with 300+ sheets might be a better choice for you.
What Is The Best Style For Binding Notebooks?
If you want to bind notebooks easily and make them durable, choose a machine with a coil binding. It is a more secure way to keep the pages of a notebook together. With a coil binding, the notebook pages are bound along the spinal edge of the book twisted through the small holes.
Electric Or Manual Binder For Notebooks
You can choose between an electric and manual machine to make spiral notebooks. We recommend a manual binding machine if you are going to use it for occasional notebook making. However, a binder with an electric punch is a better option if you are going to be binding high volumes of notebooks more often.
Notebook Size Throat
If you are only going to be making standard (A4) format notebooks or smaller, you won’t have to look for a binder with an extra-long throat system. However, make sure that the model you choose can make notebooks in the size that you want.
Best 6 Notebook Binding Machines
TruBind Spiral Binding Machine
Dimensions: 18 x 15 x 10 in
Punching Capacity: 20 sheets
Use: Electric, Manual
The TruBind TB-S20A is a spiral/coil binding machine intended for office or school use. It is available in white color and its dimensions are 18 x 15 x 10 inches. The item weighs 15 pounds. If you aren’t satisfied with this machine, the manufacturer will refund your money. The warranty lasts for 2 years. The crimping tool is included.
Electric Coil Inserter
With this device, you can create professional-looking notebooks, books or other documents. The TruBind features an electric coil inserter, which means the machine electronically inserts the plastic coils. You can bind your papers faster.
The sturdy handlebar allows you to punch holes through 20 sheets of paper per single operation. This binding machine features side and depth adjustment, so you can bind your notebooks or any size or shape. Just pull forward the silver button and disengage individual punches.
There are 46 disengaging pins, so you can easily avoid half punched holes in your notebook. The dye shape is oval, which improves easier page-turning. Because of open throat design, you can insert the different sizes of papers into the binding machine. There is a sizing guide on the machine, so you can select the right coil size.
- manual punch operation for up to 20 sheets
- electric coil inserter for faster binding
- open throat design provides different paper sizes
- adjust the depth and side margins
- the package includes the crimping tool
- use sizing guide for right coil size
GBC CombBind C20 Machine
Dimensions: 22.5 x 19.3 x 9.8 in
Punching Capacity: 20 sheets
The CombBind C20 manual binding machine is designed for small or medium offices for everyday use. It isn’t intended for heavy-duty tasks, though. This machine measures 22.05 x 19.29 x 9.84 inches. It can handle spirals and plastic combs.
The Swingline binds up to 330 sheets of paper per single operation. Also, it punches up to 20 sheets. Use low force handle for easier binding. The CombBind spines provide easy reading because the pages lie flat. These spines are durable and won’t peel over time.
Accommodate Oversized Papers
This binding machine is compatible with the spines of 1.5 inches in diameter. The Swingline binding machine for notebooks accepts the documents of any sizes. Insert standard-sized paper, A4 or even oversized documents. You can find the guide on the machine, it’s easy to select the spine size.
Paper Waste Tray
The neat locator arrow provides you to accurately align the comb and bind the notebook perfectly. With a vertical punch, it’s much easier to align the paper. This binding machine features an easy-access tray that collects the paper waste during the punching process.
- intended for medium offices with everyday needs
- it creates professional-looking documents
- punch up to 20 sheets at a time
- the binding capacity is 330 sheets
- convenient tray for paper waste
Fellowes Galaxy Electric Machine
Dimensions: 19.7 x 8.3 x 23 in
Punching Capacity: 25 sheets
The Fellowes Galaxy electric binding machine is designed for daily use in medium and large offices. So you can use it frequently, it’s really durable. The dimensions are 19.75 x 8.31 x 23 inches. It weighs 32 pounds, so it isn’t so easy to move around.
Removable Binding System
This paper binder requires 110V, plug it into the standard outlet. It has the ability to punches up to 25 sheets at a time and binds up to 500 sheets with a 2-inch comb. If you remove the binding system, two users can punch and bind at the same time. That feature increases productivity.
The Fellowes uses vertical paper loading which ensures more accurate alignment. You can disengage the dies for different paper sizes. The storage tray has an integrated measurement device for documents. The edge guide is adjustable, so it’s easy to center the notebook or papers.
Different Comb Sizes
If the electricity goes off, you can’t punch the documents. But the binding is manually operated, so you can use that part of the machine. You can use a smaller spiral or comb size. The max size is 2 inches. The price is a bit higher and the warranty lasts 2 years.
- medium duty device for large offices
- it electrically punches up to 25 sheets
- the binding capacity is 500 pages
- the dies are releasable for different paper sizes
- removable binding mechanism
- front-access tray for paper waste
Rayson Binding Machine
Dimensions: 18.11 x 10.43 x 13.98 in
Punhing Capacity: 15
The Rayson is a wire binding machine that has 18.11 x 10.43 x 13.98 inches and weighs 20 pounds. This wire machine is made of metal and because of that material, it’s hard to lift it and move. It is intended for light office use. The price is affordable.
You can punch manually up to 15 pages at a time and you can bind up to 130 sheets at once. The Rayson comes with an oiled cutting blade, that prevents die from rust. Before use, take the oiled removing paper and clean up the blades. There are two handles, one is for punching and another is for binding.
The holes have a rounded shape, which is the most common shape. The holes diameter is 0.18 inches and the closing capacity goes from 1/4” to 5/8”. The punching blade is releasable, so you can use the machine for notebooks or documents of different sizes.
3:1 Pitch Machine
The edge guide will help you with accurate alignment. You an adjust side and depth margins. Also, you can select different wire-o binding ring size. Just match your wire spine’s size to the measurement on the side of the binding machine. It is a 3:1 pitch binding machine.
determined by online offer (Amazon) and seasonal sales
- wire binding machine with metal construction
- two handles – for binding and punching
- it punches up to 15 sheets of paper
- bind up to 130 sheets at a time
- the durable rust-free cutting blade
Vevor Manual Binding Machine
Dimensions: 17.5 x 11.5 x 7.2 in
Punching Capacity: 12 sheets
Vevor is a heavy-duty machine made of sturdy materials. The construction is made of high-quality metal and has high-quality hard alloy blades. The binding machine size is 15.1 x 9.1 x 14.2 inches. It weighs 14 pounds and has anti-slide feet for more stability.
You can use this spiral binding machine in schools, offices, graphic stores, publishers, bookstores,… The Vevor has a user-friendly design, there is a long handle for operation. The waste box is at the bottom of the machine, so there is no mess around you. You can bind up to 120 sheets of paper.
Three-stage Edge Distance
This notebook bind machine is able to punch up to 12 sheets of paper, this is a manual operation. There is an electric coil inserter for faster work. The pressure system is vertical. You can adjust the margins, too. Pull the adjuster to fit different binding thicknesses.
Knob Lock Positioner
The positioner fixes the paper in one position, so the paper is symmetrical to both sides. There is another knob on the side of the machine, turn the knob to the scale that you want to press. Vevor features 34 square holes of 4 x 4mm. The price of this spiral binder is low.
- made of sturdy materials
- metal handle for punching and binding
- adjustable edge distance
- pull-out drawer for paper waste
- punching capacity – 12 sheets of paper
- binding capacity – 120 sheets
Akiles Coilmac-ER 41 Machine
Dimensions: 18 x 8 x 13 in
Punching Capacity: 20 sheets
20-sheet Of Paper
The Akiles Coilmac-ER 41 machine has a manual coil punch and electric coil inserter for faster binding. Its dimensions are 18 x 8 x 13 inches and it weighs 21 pounds. You can punch up to 20 sheets of 20 lbs paper or up to 2.6mm for hardboard.
This spiral machine has 54 pins, they are fully disengaged, you can pull them and remove them. The holes are oval and have 4 x 5mm. The punching length is extendable from 13 inches to 26 inches. You can punch notebooks or papers of any length. The punch mechanism is very durable.
Sturdy Blade Set
The blade set features cast-hardened and heat-treated steel dies, they are very durable. With Precision Guiding System, you can create professional-looking notebooks, books and documents. Akiles features an electric roller coil inserter, you control it with a foot pedal.
Punching Margin Control
Control the side margins and center easily any document. Also, you can control punching margins. This binding machine features open throat design, so the document size isn’t limited. You can align properly and punch everything you need.
- manual machine with an electric coil inserter
- sturdy and durable metal construction
- foot pedal operated machine
- the punch length is extendable
- punching capacity – up to 20 sheets
- open throat design for any document sizes
Steps To Binding Your Notebook With A Coil Machine
Coil binding is PVC filament, it is shaped like spring. These notebooks lie perfectly flat and you can turn the pages through 360 degrees. You need to crimp the coils, so sheets won’t come off the spine. How do you spiralize a notebook? To create a spiral-spine notebook, follow these instructions.
- Turn on the binder.
- Adjust the dept margin to create punches where you want according to the thickness of your project. For a thicker project, use a bigger margin.
- Insert the paper sheets and align them to create punches where you want. Disengage the unused pins.
- Press the punch lever to create punches or use the foot pedal/button if you have a machine with an electric punch.
- Punch the covers separately in the same way.
- Thread the coil into the first few holes of your project.
- Then use the button to activate the electric coil inserter on the machine. Flip the document from one to the other side until the coil is centered in the middle of the notebook.
- Remove the excess coils with the help of pliers.
Your spiral coil notebook should be ready.
For a more visual guide to making a coil notebook, check out this video:
How Do You Bind Notebooks Without A Machine?
Here are three different ways you can bind a notebook together without using a machine:
- Use pre-punched paper and insert a spiral coil in by hand as it is possible and easily done. However, manually inserting the coil will take up more time than it would to use a binding machine.
- Screw posts can bind your papers into a notebook by threading the screw posts into the punched holes in your paper and then securing them to have a bound notebook.
- Create a notepad-looking notebook by using paper, padding glue, a brush to apply the glue, and a clamp. Keep the papers together with a clamp, apply the glue, and remove the clamp once the glue has dried.
- Sew your notebook pages together for a little at-home project. You will need a strong needle and thread for this. For further instructions, check this out.
What Other Options Are There Besides Biding?
Besides biding, there are other ways you can fasten your papers together to make somewhat of a notebook. For example, you can staple your papers together to make a notebook although it won’t look as nice and might not be as durable. For this, you will need a stapler.
If you still can’t decide, we suggest you consider the TruBind spiral binding machine one more time. It features open throat design, a punching capacity of 20 sheets and adjustable margins. The machines of this type efficiently bind notebooks as well as books but there are still some differences between these so it’s good to check if a machine is designed for both.